Things to know when planning a trip to Belize
Planning a trip to Belize can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Here are some things to keep in mind when planning your trip:
- Best time to visit: The best time to visit Belize is from late November to mid-April, when the weather is dry and comfortable.
- Language: English is the official language of Belize, so communication shouldn’t be a problem. However, Spanish is widely spoken and may come in handy in some areas.
- Currency: The Belizean dollar (BZD) is the official currency, but US dollars are widely accepted. Credit cards are also widely accepted in tourist areas.
- Getting around: The most popular mode of transportation in Belize is by taxi or rental car. Alternatively, you can take a bus or hire a tour guide.
- Accommodation: There are plenty of options for accommodation in Belize, ranging from luxury resorts to budget guesthouses. It is advisable to book in advance, especially during the peak season.
- Activities: Belize offers a wide range of activities, including snorkeling, scuba diving, exploring Mayan ruins, hiking, and bird watching.
- Food: Belizean cuisine is a blend of African, European, and Caribbean flavors. Popular dishes include rice and beans, seafood, tamales, and fry jacks.
- Safety: Belize is generally a safe country for tourists, but like anywhere else, it’s important to take precautions. Be aware of your surroundings, avoid isolated areas at night, and keep your valuables secure.
- Cultural etiquette: Belize has a diverse culture, and it’s important to be respectful of local customs and traditions. Dress modestly when visiting churches or temples, and ask permission before taking photos of people or their property.
- Health considerations: Before traveling to Belize, it’s advisable to consult with a doctor to discuss any necessary vaccinations or medications. Be sure to take precautions against mosquito bites, as dengue fever and other mosquito-borne illnesses are prevalent in the region.
Reasons to visit Belize
- Stunning beaches: Belize boasts over 200 miles of coastline with pristine beaches and crystal-clear waters, making it an ideal destination for beach lovers. Some of the popular beaches include Placencia, Caye Caulker, and Ambergris Caye.
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Belize is home to the second-largest barrier reef in the world, making it a premier destination for snorkeling and scuba diving. The Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and features an abundance of marine life, including colorful fish, sea turtles, and rays.
- Maya Archaeological Sites: Belize has a rich history, and visitors can explore ancient Maya ruins scattered throughout the country. Some of the notable sites include Caracol, Xunantunich, and Lamanai.
- Wildlife and Nature: Belize has a diverse ecosystem, with lush rainforests, mangrove swamps, and savannas. Visitors can spot wildlife such as howler monkeys, jaguars, and toucans in their natural habitats.
- Cultural Diversity: Belize is a melting pot of cultures, with a mix of Creole, Garifuna, Maya, and Mestizo heritage. Visitors can experience the unique customs, food, and music of these different cultures.
- Adventure Activities: Belize offers a wide range of adventure activities, including zip-lining, cave tubing, kayaking, and hiking. Visitors can explore the jungle, rivers, and caves and experience the thrill of outdoor adventure.
- Sustainable Tourism: Belize is committed to sustainable tourism and protecting its natural resources. Visitors can support eco-friendly accommodations and tour operators and learn about conservation efforts.
Belize Travel Guides
12 Best Things to Do in Punta Gorda, Belize
Mayan Cultural Tour in Belize With the Toledo Ecotourism Association
Monkey River Belize Tour from Placencia Review
Belize Jaguar Preserve Tour – Dtourz Review
19 Amazing Things to Do in Placencia, Belize – Complete 2023 Travel Guide
17 Best Things to Do in Hopkins, Belize – Heart of the Garifuna Culture
Caracol Mayan Ruins – MayaWalk Tours Review
27 Best Things to Do in San Ignacio, Belize
Lamanai Ruins Tour From San Pedro, Orange Walk, or Belize City
Where to stay in Belize – Top 10 hotels and resorts for 2023
What to Pack for Belize – Packing List and Tips
Things to do in Belize: incredible places to discover
The Best Mayan Ruin Tours From San Pedro Belize