Last Updated on November 13, 2023
Winter is slowly fading away, and soon spring will be in full bloom. It’s the best time to go on a family vacation, leaving stress and worries behind, taking advantage of the trip to spend some quality time together and have some fun.
In this guide, discover the best spring break destinations for families to visit in 2024, from budget-friendly places to splurge-worthy trips, from beautiful beaches and lush landscapes to historical and cultural destinations.
Find out all the best kid-friendly places to go for spring break in 2024 in the USA as well as the top international Spring Break vacation spots for families.
HELPFUL WEBSITES TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR TRIP
HELPFUL WEBSITES TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR TRIP
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on any links and make a purchase, I’ll get a small commission, at no cost to you.
Must-read – Full Spring Break Packing List + free checklist to download
Best Spring Break Destinations for Families in the US
1 – San Diego, California
San Diego is a great spring break destination for families, enjoy the warm weather and discover some of the city’s best activities. From visiting museums to trekking in protected areas, there are plenty of things to do in San Diego with kids. Alternate between spending some time relaxing at the beach and exploring what the city and its surroundings have to offer.
Best family activities in San Diego:
- Legoland California;
- Kid-friendly museums: New Children’s Museum, Air and Space Museum, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, USS Midway (historical aircraft carrier – get skip-the-line tickets here>>);
- Beaches: Coronado Beach, La Jolla Shores, and Mission Beach;
- Hiking: Torrey Pines State Reserve
- Take a whale-watching cruise (whale season from mid-December to late April)
2 – Scottsdale, Arizona
Spring is the best time to visit Arizona as the weather is warm but not too much and the evenings are cooler. It’s a great family destination if you are looking for an outdoor adventure. Scottsdale offers plenty of hikes accessible to kids and biking trails. There are also a couple of fun water parks kids will love.
Best things to do in Scottsdale with kids:
- Hiking in McDowell Sonoran Preserve, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly trails there. One of the easiest trails is Toms Thumb. You can also check out Papago Park, near Tempe;
- Biking in Apache Wash surrounded by desertic landscapes;
- Water Parks: the most popular ones are Great Wolf and Big Surf;
- Take a jeep tour of the desert or an ATV tour if you’re traveling with older kids;
Where to stay in Scottsdale with kids: the Hampton Inn & Suites Scottsdale On Shea Blvd and the Bespoke Inn Scottsdale come highly recommended for families – for a splurge-worthy stay, check out Sanctuary Camelback Mountain – or book a vacation rental.
3 – Savannah, Georgia
Discover Georgia’s oldest and most charming town, Savannah has plenty of activities to offer to families. From discovering its colonial charm to visiting cool museums, and everything in between, Savannah is a top spring break destination for families. It’s also a foodie paradise with plenty of restaurants and cafes you can take your kids to to experience local flavors.
If you are there in May, don’t miss the Savannah Music Festival.
- Take a tour of the historic city with its cobblestone streets and colonial buildings. You can either take a trolley tour or a walking tour. Make sure you see the Cathedral of St. John, Forsyth Park, and Wormsloe Historic site.
- Cruise along the Savannah River and stroll around the waterfront;
- Sample some local cuisine at the Pirates’ House, a historical restaurant established in 1753 no less;
- Visit Tybee Island for some beach time;
Family-friendly hotels in Savannah: East Bay Inn and The Presidents’ Quarters Inn are both highly rated by families and are located right in the historic part of town – for a budget-friendly option, check out Days Inn by Wyndham Savannah Airport (a good option if you have a car) – or book a vacation rental.
4 – St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
When you think of Spring break you often think of a tropical beach on a remote Caribbean island. Saint Thomas is the ultimate spring break destination for families if you want to spend time lounging at the beach, gorging on seafood, and go on boating trips for some breathtaking snorkeling.
Featuring gorgeous beaches, Saint Thomas is still a pretty off-the-radar destination with plenty of cheap flight options from the mainland.
Best family-friendly activities in Saint Thomas:
- Spend some time at the beach, among the most popular ones you’ll find Lindquist Beach, Magens Bay Beach, and Coki Point Beach;
- Go on a boat trip and do some snorkeling or diving;
- Ride the sky tram to Paradise Point or stop at Drake’s Seat for breath-taking views of the island;
- Zipline above the rainforest and get stunning views of Magens Bay (for kids 5 and older);
- Go kayaking through the mangrove to a beautiful hidden lagoon:
Family-friendly resorts in Saint Thomas: keep in mind that St Thomas is a pretty small island so there are not that many accommodation options, book well ahead of time. If you are looking for an all-inclusive resort, check out Bolongo Bay Beach Resort. Other great hotels to stay at with kids include the Flamboyan on the Bay Resort & Villas and the Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove – or book a vacation rental.
5 – Williamsburg, Virginia
Part of the Historic Triangle Area, Williamsburg is the perfect spring break destination to learn more about US history and its colonial past. With a blend of cultural activities and relaxing things to do, you’ll find plenty of places to visit that the kids will love.
Best things to do in Williamsburg with kids:
- Stroll around Colonial Williamsburg, an open-air museum where you can learn about life in the 18th century and partake in daily activities from the past, with crafts demonstrations and actors dressed in traditional clothing;
- Visit nearby Historic Jamestowne, where the original colony was, and don’t miss the museum on Virginian and Native American culture, the fort, the recreated Powhatan Indian Village, and the ships’ replicas;
- Visit the battlefield where the British surrendered in Yorktown;
- Spend some time at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, a theme park with many activities for children;
Where to stay with kids in Williamsburg: good options for families include the Vacation Village at Williamsburg (indoor + outdoor pools, bathtub, playground, big garden, spacious rooms), the Comfort Suites Williamsburg Historic Area (indoor pool, perfect location, breakfast included, budget-friendly), and the Travelodge by Wyndham (conveniently located and super budget-friendly) – or book a vacation rental.
6 – Palm Springs, California
Palm Springs is a great spring break destination when traveling with kids. The popular town offers plenty of kid-friendly activities the whole family will enjoy. Explore the amazing desert and spectacular landscape, then spend some time lounging by the pool to relax a bit after a day of adventures.
It’s also the perfect budget-friendly spring break destination in the US.
Best things to do in Palm Springs with kids:
- Trekking in Joshua Tree National Park, known for its western landscapes, with many easy trails for children;
- Take a ride on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway for spectacular views of the desert, transforming into the lush San Jacinto Mountains (book your tickets here>>);
- Take an open-air jeep tour of the San Andreas Fault;
7 – McCall, Idaho
Spring break doesn’t have to be all about tropical beaches and warmer climates, take advantage of the low prices offered during the off-season in McCall and go skiing this spring! The ski resort is great for kids, there, older kids can learn skiing or snowboarding, while younger ones can enjoy some sledding or just play in the snow.
Other things to do with kids in McCall:
- Soak in a hot spring – Gold Fork Hot Springs is the easiest to access and perfect for little kids;
- Go tubing at the Activity Barn:
Where to stay in McCall with kids: the Best Western Plus McCall Lodge and Suites and the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McCall-The Hunt Lodge are both good options for families, for a more unique experience consider staying in a cabin at Brundage Bungalows – or book a vacation rental.
8 – New York City, New York
New York City is an awesome spring break destination, especially for older kids, the city is a magical blend of culture, architecture, and nature with all the trees in full bloom this time of the year.
Best things to do in NYC with children:
- Take a stroll through one of the city’s many parks to gaze at the blooming trees;
- Take a tour, you could take a walking tour to visit some of the city’s top sights, if you are with younger kids you can opt for a bus tour. You could also take a food tour to sample some of NYC’s local delicacies;
- Take a cruise to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty;
- Visit one of the city’s many kid-friendly museums. The most famous ones are the American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For something more fun and interactive, check out Spyscape or The Paley Center for Media;
9 – Washington DC
Washington DC turns into a magical city in spring, with tons of great activities for families. It’s one of the best places to see cherry blossoms in the US, which makes it an epic spring break destination. The city is a perfect blend of culture, fun, and nature with plenty of day trips you can take around Washington DC.
Best family-friendly activities in Washington DC:
- Visit some of the 18 Smithsonian Museums, Galleries, and Gardens such as the National Museum of American History, the National Postal Museum, the Air and Space Museum, and the Sculpture Gardens;
- Stroll around Capitol Hill and the National Mall;
- If you have time, you can take a road trip from DC to some of the nearby towns or beaches.
Kid-friendly hotels in DC: Hyatt House by the wharf, Marriott at Metro Center, and Capitol Hill Hotel all offer great rooms and amenities for families and are conveniently located – or book a vacation rental.
10 – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach is a classic and affordable spring break destination for families, it’s also one of the best beach destinations for families on the East Coast. Spend some time at the beach, stroll around the boardwalk, sample the local food, or have a fun day at one of the city’s many amusement parks, possibilities are endless when it comes to family-friendly things to do.
The weather at this time of the year is just perfect.
If you are looking to plan a beach break on a budget, Myrtle Beach is a great option for families.
Best things to do in Myrtle Beach with kids:
- Explore the 60-mile-long Grand Strand white sand beach;
- Take a stroll on Myrtle Beach’s Boardwalk, play arcades, and take a ride on the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel;
- Spend a day at one of the many amusement parks there like Family Kingdom for waters slides, or GoApe Ziplining and Treetop Adventure Park;
- Go green in Brookgreen Gardens, a stunning botanical garden;
Where to stay in Myrtle Beach with kids: for something simple and budget-friendly, right on the beach, check out the Polynesian Oceanfront Motel – for something nicer, consider Club Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, also on the beachfront. You can also check out the vacation rentals, many are located right by the beach.
11 – Zion National Park, Utah
Spring break is the perfect occasion to scratch some items off your National Parks bucket list. Zion National Park is beautiful this time of the year and there are plenty of trails to explore with kids. It’s the perfect destination if you want an outdoor vacation. From exploring beautiful landscapes to swimming in rivers and waterfalls, you’ll find something awesome to do while there.
Where to stay near Zion National Park: Zion offers three campgrounds and a Lodge within the park. For other options, staying in Springdale is usually recommended, there you can check out La Quinta by Wyndham or Holiday Inn Express Springdale – or book a vacation rental.
12 – Destin, Florida
While Florida is often seen as a Spring Break destination for college students and party people, it actually features many great family-friendly places to visit with kids. Actually, Destin is easily one of the best Spring Break destinations in Florida for families.
Offering many amazing things to do with children of different ages, Destin is sure to please everyone in the family. Its location on the Gulf of Mexico provides kid-friendly beaches with calm waters and opportunities to go wildlife-watching.
Book a boat tour for the day to Crab Island, spotting dolphins, sea turtles, and colorful fish along the way, and maybe do some snorkeling.
Henderson Beach State Park is a great place to visit with kids nearby, spending a day at the beach, building sandcastles, and strolling along the majestic sand dunes.
In town, enjoy walking along the Destin Harbor Boardwalk, eating at Uncle Buck’s Fishbowl and Grill, and becoming a pirate for the day at Pirate’s Alley.
Kids will also have fun at Big Kahuna’s Water Park or enjoy taking a professional sandcastle-building lesson.
The Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort is a great family-friendly resort with its kids’ club where children can engage in a wide array of activities.
13 – Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
If you are looking for a kid-friendly Spring Break beach destination that’s not crowded, then Rehoboth Beach in Delaware is a great option. Most businesses will be open and it won’t attract large crowds like other popular Spring Break destinations – it’s ideal if you want a laid-back and peaceful vacation by the water.
While the temperatures might still be too chilly to swim (unless you’re brave enough), you can spend some time strolling on the beach, enjoy the food scene, and take day trips to explore the coast.
Take the ferry over to Cape May for a day, rent some bikes, and explore the island. Make sure to book ahead and leave early as the ferries don’t run as late as during summer.
The area offers a couple of nice trails where you can go hiking or biking. The Thompson Island Trailhead, the Junction & Breakwater Trailhead, and Burton Island Trailhead are good options. The Delaware Seashore State Park is a nice place to go for a hike and kayak.
If you want to stay right by the beach, book a room at the beachfront Boardwalk Plaza Hotel with a restaurant, free private parking, a fitness center, and a bar. You can also check out the vacation rentals, you’ll find great deals this time of year.
14 – Black Hills, South Dakota
One of the best places in the Midwest to plan a Spring Break road trip, the Black Hills in South Dakota features wonder after wonder. It’s ideal for a family vacation as most stops are close by so you won’t have endless stretches of road on your itinerary.
It takes around 7 days to visit the whole area, but if you have less time, you can focus on a smaller area.
Some of the top places to visit include the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave National Park, Evans Plunge Hot Springs, Crazy Horse, and Badlands National Park. All offer plenty of kid-friendly hiking opportunities and stunning overlooks to take in the magnificent scenery.
The easiest way to plan your trip is to base yourself in Rapid City for the first few nights, then spend your last night near Badlands National Park.
15 – Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio
Hocking Hills State Park is a great spring break trip for outdoorsy families. It’s also a perfect destination if you’re on a budget as there are no entrance fees, camping starts at $25 a day, you can pack your own food, and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors and all the free activities it offers.
If it’s too cold to go camping or you prefer something more comfortable, you can book a vacation rental in the nearby town of Logan, where you’ll find plenty of family-friendly activities for all ages as well as many other state parks and natural areas nearby that are worth checking out as well.
There are seven major hiking areas in Hocking Hills State Park: Ash Cave, Old Man’s Cave, Rock House, Conkle’s Hollow, Cedar Falls, Cantwell Cliffs, and Whispering Cave Trail. All are breathtaking and worth the hike. Most hikes are short and easy and can be done by the whole family.
Be prepared for the possibility of snow, especially around March, and bring adequate gear. If you’re visiting in March you might be able to attend the famed Maple Sugaring in the Hills festival at Old Man’s Cave Visitor Center where you can watch as they make maple syrup.
Best International Family Spring Break Destinations for 2024
16 – Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
Way less crowded than Punta Cana, you’ll find a family-friendly atmosphere in the small fisherman village of Las Terrenas, one of the best destinations in the Dominican Republic. Beautiful beaches, lush jungles, and friendly locals await for an epic family spring break vacation.
You’ll find plenty of things to do with kids as well as more relaxed activities.
Best things to do in Las Terrenas:
- Explore the nearby beaches, rent a car for the day and explore the coast;
- Learn to kitesurf, Las Terrenas is a beginner-friendly kiteboarding spot, perfect to start. Kids as young as 8-year-old (90 lbs) can learn;
- Take a tour to Los Haitises National Park in the middle of the jungle, trying to spot birds and visiting Taino caves;
- Trek to El Limon Waterfall and take a dip in the middle of the rainforest;
Where to stay in Las Terrenas with kids: For an all-inclusive beach resort with plenty of activities for kids, check out Bahia Principe. For something quite unique, book a tree house in the jungle at Dominican Tree House Village – or rent a beach-front villa.
17 – Bahamas
With over 700 islands to visit, the Bahamas is a great tropical spring break destination for families and one of the top kid-friendly islands in the Caribbean. It’s the perfect place if you want to unwind and just relax for a week or two without having to worry about anything. Pick an all-inclusive resort, like the Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, so your only problem will be choosing which beach to go to today.
The Bahamas is also one of the top cruise destinations for families and can be visited as part of a Caribbean cruise.
Best places to visit in the Bahamas with kids:
- The beaches: among the most popular ones, you’ll find Pink sand beach, Tropic of Cancer beach, Treasure Cay beach, and Swimming pigs beach.
- Take a boat trip to Blue Lagoon Island to see dolphins and sea lions;
- Take a stroll through Nassau and do some window shopping or shop for local crafts;
18 – Yucatan Peninsula
While spring break in Cancun is popular among college students and people who want to party, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly destinations in the Riviera Maya. If you are looking for an all-inclusive vacation, check out Grand Velas Riviera Maya in Playa del Carmen, where you can enjoy the beach and take day trips to the nearby Maya ruins and cenotes or spend a day out on a boat, snorkeling.
You can also rent a car and take a road trip through the Peninsula for a mix of beaches and culture. See the full itinerary here >>
Best things to do in the Yucatan Peninsula with kids:
- Visit the colonial towns of Merida and Valladolid;
- Explore famous Maya ruins like Chichen Itza or Uxmal, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites;
- Discover the unique cenotes, underground lakes you can swim in;
- Sail in Bacalar, one of the most beautiful lagoons in the world;
19 – Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the best spring break destinations for families, you’ll be there right before the rainy season and it’s off-season so prices will be cheaper than if you go in December-January. It’s the perfect vacation spot for families if you are looking for a blend of nature – with gorgeous beaches, lush rainforests, and volcanoes – and vibrant culture.
Best things to do in Costa Rica with kids:
- Visit rescued animals in Rescate Animal ZooAve near San Juan;
- Take a tour of a coffee plantation with Espiritu Santo Coffee Tour in Naranjo;
- Visit Sarchi, a colorful traditional village in the Central Valley;
- Take a dip in Baldi Hot Springs;
- Discover Costa Rican rainforest in La Selva Biological Station And Research Center;
- Visit Corso Lecharia, a famous farm in Alajuela;
- Experience the rainforest from above at the Mistico Hanging Bridges;
While there are plenty of great family-friendly hotels in Costa Rica, if you don’t want to be moving around, book a room a the all-inclusive beachfront Andaz Costa Rica Resort at Peninsula Papagayo and take day trips from there or just enjoy lounging on the beach.
20 – San Pedro, Belize
Belize is a perfect family-friendly destination as it features plenty of things to do for kids of all ages and great amenities and infrastructures. San Pedro is a great base to explore the country, enjoy water activities, and stay at a beach resort.
From there, you can take boat tours to snorkel, swim with nurse sharks, or see the famed Blue Hole, and take day trips to visit Mayan ruins, see wildlife, and partake in outdoor activities like river tubing, zip lining, or hiking.
There are plenty of great kid-friendly jungle lodges and beach resorts in Belize. In San Pedro, for an all-inclusive beach resort, book a 2-bedroom suite or a beach-front villa at the well-rated Alaia Belize, Autograph Collection featuring 3 swimming pools, a free airport shuttle, 3 restaurants, and a spa.
For a more budget-friendly option, check out the convenient Belizean Shores Resort which features many great amenities and activities for children.
What about you, what’s your favorite spring break destination? What about going on a road trip? Check out this epic list of the best USA road trips to go on in 2024. You can also check out some of the best family vacation spots in California or on the East Coast.
Like it? Save it for later – Best Spring break destinations for families