Last updated on December 8th, 2021
Winter is slowly fading away, and soon spring will be in full bloom. It’s the best time to go on a family vacation, leaving stress and worries behind, taking advantage of the trip to spend some quality time together and have some fun.
In this guide, discover the best spring break destinations for families to visit in 2022, from budget-friendly places to splurge-worthy trips, from beautiful beaches and lush landscapes to historical and cultural destinations, in the US and in countries that are open to tourism and safe to travel to.
Related article – Best National Parks to visit this summer
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on any links and make a purchase, I’ll get a small commission, at no cost to you.
- Best Spring break destinations for families in the US
- Best international spring break destinations in 2022
Must-read – Full Spring Break Packing List + free checklist to download
Best Spring break destinations for families in the US
1 – San Diego, California
San Diego is a great spring break destination for families, enjoy the warm weather and discover some of the city’s best activities. From visiting museums to trekking in protected areas, there are plenty of things to do in San Diego with kids. Alternate between spending some time relaxing at the beach and exploring what the city and its surroundings have to offer.
Best family activities in San Diego:
- Legoland California;
- Kid-friendly museums: New Children’s Museum, Air and Space Museum, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, USS Midway (historical aircraft carrier);
- Beaches: Coronado Beach, La Jolla Shores, and Mission Beach;
- Hiking: Torrey Pines State Reserve
2 – Scottsdale, Arizona
Spring is the best time to visit Arizona as the weather is warm but not too much and the evenings are cooler. It’s a great family destination if you are looking for an outdoor adventure. Scottsdale offers plenty of hikes accessible to kids and biking trails. There are also a couple of fun water parks kids will love.
Best things to do in Scottsdale with kids:
- Hiking in McDowell Sonoran Preserve, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly trails there. One of the easiest on is Toms Thumb. You can also check out Papago Park, near Tempe.
- Biking in Apache Wash surrounded by desertic landscapes;
- Water Parks: the most popular ones are Great Wolf and Big Surf.
Where to stay in Scottsdale with kids: the Hampton Inn & Suites Scottsdale On Shea Blvd and the Bespoke Inn Scottsdale come highly recommended for families – for a splurge-worthy stay, check out Sanctuary Camelback Mountain.
3 – Savannah, Georgia
Discover Georgia’s oldest and most charming town, Savannah has plenty of activities to offer for families. From discovering its colonial charm to visiting cool museums, and everything in between, Savannah is a top spring break destination for families. It’s also a foodie paradise with plenty of restaurants and cafes you can take your kids to to experience local flavors.
If you are there in May, don’t miss the Savannah Music Festival.
Best things to in Savannah with kids:
- Take a tour of the historic city with its cobblestone streets and colonial buildings. You can either take a trolley tour or a walking tour. Make sure you see the Cathedral of St. John, Forsyth Park, and Wormsloe Historic site.
- Cruise along the Savannah River and stroll around the waterfront;
- Sample some local cuisine at the Pirates’ House, a historical restaurant established in 1753 no less;
- Visit Tybee Island for some beach time;
Family-friendly hotels in Savannah: East Bay Inn and The Presidents’ Quarters Inn are both highly rated by families and are located right in the historic part of town – for a budget-friendly option, check out Days Inn by Wyndham Savannah Airport (a good option if you have a car).
4 – St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
When you think of Spring break you often think of a tropical beach on a remote Caribbean island. Saint Thomas is the ultimate spring break destination for families if you want to spend time lounging at the beach, gorging on seafood, and go on boating trips for some breath-taking snorkeling. Featuring gorgeous beaches, Saint Thomas is still pretty an off-the-radar destination with plenty of cheap flight options from the mainland.
Best family-friendly activities in Saint Thomas:
- Spend some time at the beach, among the most popular ones you’ll find Lindquist Beach, Magens Bay Beach, and Coki Point Beach;
- Go on a boat trip;
- Ride the sky tram to Paradise Point or stop at Drake’s Seat for breath-taking views of the island;
Family-friendly resorts in Saint Thomas: keep in mind that Saint Thomas is a pretty small island so there are not that many accommodation options, book well ahead of time. If you are looking for an all-inclusive resort, check out Bolongo Bay Beach Resort. Other great hotels to stay at with kids include the Flamboyan on the Bay Resort & Villas and the Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove.
5 – Williamsburg, Virginia
Part of the Historic Triangle Area, Williamsburg is the perfect spring break destination to learn more about US history and its colonial past. With a blend of cultural activities and relaxing things to do, you’ll find plenty of places to visit the kids will love.
Best things to do in Williamsburg with kids:
- Stroll around Colonial Williamsburg, an open-air museum where you can learn about life in the 18th century and partake in daily activities from the past, with crafts demonstrations and actors dressed in traditional clothing;
- Visit nearby Historic Jamestowne, where the original colony was, don’t miss the museum on Virginian and Native American culture, the fort, the recreated Powhatan Indian Village, and the ships’ replicas;
- Visit the battlefield where the British surrendered in Yorktown;
- Spend some time at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, a theme park with many activities for children;
Where to stay with kids in Williamsburg: good options for families include the Vacation Village at Williamsburg (indoor + outdoor pools, bathtub, playground, big garden, spacious rooms), the Comfort Suites Williamsburg Historic Area (indoor pool, perfect location, breakfast included, budget-friendly), and the Travelodge by Wyndham (conveniently located and super budget-friendly).
6 – Palm Spring, California
Palm Spring is a great spring break destination when traveling with kids. The popular town offers plenty of kid-friendly activities the whole family will enjoy. Explore the amazing desert and spectacular landscape or spend so time lounging by the pool to relax a bit after a day of adventures.
It’s also the perfect budget-friendly spring break destination.
Best things to do in Palm Springs with kids:
- Trekking in Joshua Tree National Park, known for its western landscapes, with many easy trails for children;
- Take a ride on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway for spectacular views of the desert, transforming into the lush San Jacinto Mountains;
7 – McCall, Idaho
Spring break doesn’t have to be all about tropical beaches and warmer climates, take advantage of the low prices offered during the off-season in McCall and go skiing this spring! The ski resort is great for kids where they can learn skiing or snowboarding, while the younger ones can enjoy some sledding or just playing in the snow.
Where to stay in McCall: the Best Western Plus McCall Lodge and Suites and the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McCall-The Hunt Lodge are both good options for families, for a more unique experience consider staying in a cabin at Brundage Bungalows.
8 – New York City, New York
New York City is an awesome spring break destination especially for older kids, the city is a magical blend of culture, architecture, and nature with all the trees in full bloom this time of the year.
Best things to do in NYC with children:
- Take a stroll through one of the city’s many parks to gaze at the blooming trees;
- Take a tour, you could take a walking tour to visit some of the city’s top sights, if you are with younger kids you can opt for a bus tour. You could also take a food tour to sample some of NYC local delicacies;
- Take a cruise to Ellis Island and the the Statue of Liberty;
- Visit one of the city many museums. The most famous ones are the American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For something more fun and interactive, check out Spyscape or The Paley Center for Media;
Related: The perfect NYC Winter Travel Guide
9 – Washington DC
Washington DC turns into a magical city in spring, with tons of great activities for families. It’s one of the best places to see cherry blossoms in the US, which makes it an epic spring break destination. The city is a perfect blend of culture, fun, and nature with plenty of day trips you can take around Washington DC.
Best family-friendly activities in Washington DC:
- Visit some of the 18 Smithsonian Museums, Galleries, and Gardens such as the National Museum of American History, the National Postal Museum, the Air and Space Museum and the Sculpture Gardens;
- Stroll around Capitol Hill and the National Mall;
- If you have time, you can take a road trip from DC to some of the nearby towns or beaches.
10 – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach is a classic and affordable spring break destination for families. Spend some time at the beach, stroll around the boardwalk, sample the local food, or have a fun day at one of the city’s many amusement parks, possibilities are endless when it comes to family-friendly things to do. The weather at this time of the year is just perfect.
If you are looking to plan a beach break on a budget, Myrtle Beach is a great option for families.
Best things to do in Myrtle Beach with kids:
- Explore the 60-mile long Grand Strand white sand beach;
- Take a stroll on Myrtle Beach’s Boardwalk, play arcades, and take a ride on on the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel;
- Spend a day at one of the many amusement parks there like Family Kingdom for waters slides, or GoApe Ziplining and Treetop Adventure Park;
- Go green in Brookgreen Gardens, a stunning botanical garden;
Where to stay in Myrtle Beach with kids: for something simple and budget-friendly, right on the beach, check out the Polynesian Oceanfront Motel – for something nicer, consider Club Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, also on the beachfront. You can also check out Home Away from Home The Sequel, an apartment right by the beach with 2 bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen.
11 – Zion National Park, Utah
Spring break is the perfect occasion to scratch some items off your National Parks bucket list. Zion National Park is beautiful this time of the year and there are plenty of trails to explore with kids. It’s the perfect destination if you want an outdoor vacation. From exploring beautiful landscapes to swimming in rivers and waterfalls, you’ll find something awesome to do while there.
Where to stay near Zion National Park: Zion offers three campgrounds and a Lodge within the park. For other options, staying in Springdale is usually recommended, there you can check out La Quinta by Wyndham or Holiday Inn Express Springdale.
Best international spring break destinations in 2022
12 – Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
Way less crowded than Punta Cana, you’ll find a family-friendly atmosphere in the small fisherman village of Las Terrenas. Beautiful beaches, lush jungle, and friendly locals await for an epic spring break vacation. You’ll find plenty of things to do with kids as well as more relaxed activities. The country is open to tourism, you just have to fill in a health form and you’re good to go.
Best things to do in Las Terrenas:
- Explore the nearby beaches, rent a car for the day and explore the coast;
- Learn to kitesurf, Las Terrenas is a beginner-friendly kiteboarding spot, perfect to start. Kid as young as 8-year-old (90 lbs) can learn;
- Take a tour to Los Haitises National Park in the middle of the jungle, trying to spot birds and visiting Taino caves;
- Trek to El Limon Waterfall and take a dip in the middle of the rainforest;
13 – Bahamas
With over 700 islands to visit, the Bahamas is a great tropical spring break destination for families. It’s the perfect place if you want to unwind and just relax for a week or two without having to worry about anything. Pick an all-inclusive resort so your only problem will be choosing which beach to go to today.
The Bahamas is also one of the top cruise destinations for families and can be visited as part of a Caribbean cruise.
Best places to visit in the Bahamas with kids:
- The beaches: among the most popular ones, you’ll find Pink sand beach, Tropic of Cancer beach, Treasure Cay beach, and Swimming pigs beach.
- Take a boat trip to Blue Lagoon Island to see dolphins and sea-lions;
- Take a stroll through Nassau and do some window-shopping or shop for local crafts;
14 – Yucatan Peninsula
While spring break in Cancun is popular among college students and people who want to party, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly destinations in the Riviera Maya. If you are looking for an all-inclusive vacation, check out Playa del Carmen, where you can enjoy the beach and take day trips to the nearby Maya ruins and cenotes or spend a day out on a boat, snorkeling.
You can also rent a car and take a road trip through the Peninsula for a mix of beaches and culture. Read about the full itinerary here >>
Best things to do in the Yucatan Peninsula with kids:
- Visit the colonial towns of Merida and Valladolid;
- Explore famous Maya ruins like Chichen Itza or Uxmal, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites;
- Discover the unique cenotes, underground lakes you can swim in;
- Sail in Bacalar, one of the most beautiful lagoons in the world;
15 – Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the best spring break destinations for families, you’ll be there right before the rainy season and it’s off-season so prices will be cheaper than if you go in December-January. It’s also one of the few country that is open to American tourists right now. It’s the perfect vacation spot for families if you are looking for a blend of nature with gorgeous beaches, lush rainforests, and volcanoes, and vibrant culture.
Best things to in Costa Rica with kids:
- Visit rescued animals in Rescate Animal ZooAve near San Juan;
- Take a tour of a coffee plantation with Espiritu Santo Coffee Tour in Naranjo;
- Visit Sarchi, a colorful traditional village in the Central Valley;
- Take a dip in Baldi Hot Springs;
- Discover Costa Rican rainforest in La Selva Biological Station And Research Center;
- Visit Corso Lecharia, a famous farm in Alajuela;
- Experience the rainforest from above at the Mistico Hanging Bridges;
What about you, what’s your favorite spring break destination? What about going on a road trip? Check out this epic list of the best USA road trips to go on in 2022. You can also check out some of the best family vacation spots in California or on the East Coast.
Like it? Save it for later – Best Spring break destinations for families